Thursday, May 12, 2016

New Toy Arrived! 2016 Razer Blade

My new laptop arrived, the 2016 Razer Blade.  It was on back-order for a while but it's finally here!



And yes, that's my bed, and yes, it is covered with Stuff(tm).

My wife is REALLY excited to live with a mad scientist, as I'm sure you can understand.  Especially now that I'm in the middle of a hardware project - experimenting with GPU servers - and yet we live in this tiny apartment where there is not any room...

But there is a bed!  It makes a great work space if you ask me.


This is the current work-in-progress.

6 GPUs in a single server.  What a thing of beauty.  Well, it will be when I'm done with it anyway.  For now it's messy and it keeps freezing up, but it's getting there!









5 comments:

  1. Hi there! I have seen how you mentioned PHPStorm in one of your earlier posts, could you tell me how the Performance on the new razer blade is? Like startup time, general gui feeling/indexing etc.? I'm thinking about buying this model, too :-)

    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PHPStorm and WebStorm both run fantastically well on this laptop. I've had experiences in the past with other IDEs that feel sluggish and frankly that kind of thing annoys me to no end.

      JetBrains has their stuff together though IMO - they are good products and the 2016 Razer Blade easily has enough horsepower to make them shine.

      Delete
    2. That was a fast reply! Yeah, I use PHPStorm on an XPS 13 2015 Model (i5,8gb ram) and the GUI is kinda slow on this machine (not that slow but it's distracting for me) after playing with some vmoptions and beeing not satisfied I'm looking for the razer blade quad core version :-)

      Yeah, other IDEs are by far worse than PHPStorm :D

      Have you tried to install linux on the razer blade or only windows? My daily driver for work is linux and I would consider a dual boot solution :-)

      Greetings!

      Delete
    3. I've not tried any other OS on this laptop. The one thing I'd be aware of if I were you and considering that, is the GPU in this laptop and how that might (or might not) work for Linux.

      Good luck! :)

      Delete
    4. Ah, you're right! Haven't thought about the gpu yet :-)

      Thank you!

      Delete